North Shore Orthopaedics has been treating patients for over 50 years. It began in 1955 when Dr. C. Hugh Hickey opened up his practice on Oakland Avenue in Whitefish Bay.
In 1968, Dr. Domenic Bruno joined Dr. Hickey. He had previously worked as a family practitioner before pursuing a career in orthopaedic surgery. Dr. Hickey and Dr. Bruno had a very strong presence on the North Shore of Milwaukee and at St. Michael Hospital.
In 1974, after completing two years of service in the United States Navy, Dr. Francis Rotter joined North Shore Orthopaedics. The three physicians wanted to expand their practice. Because a larger office setting was needed, the current Glendale office was built. The Glendale office opened in 1977, and it was at this time that Dr. James Flesch joined the practice.
All of the physicians were general orthopaedic surgeons with areas of expertise. Dr. Hickey was a premier surgeon addressing the needs of children with cerebral palsy and spina bifida. Dr. Bruno had expertise in knee and hip replacements. Dr. Flesch and Dr. Rotter had an area of interest and expertise in treatment of the spine.
A fifth surgeon, Dr. Domenic Pulito, joined North Shore Orthopaedics in 1980. Dr. Pulito was one of the first orthopedic surgeons in the Milwaukee area to perform arthroscopic knee surgery.
In 1990, Dr. Bruno retired.
In 1994, Columbia St. Mary’s Hospital, Ozaukee Campus, opened in Mequon, and North Shore Orthopaedics opened an office at that location. Dr. Hickey retired.
In 2008, Dr. Flesch retired.
The physicians of North Shore Orthopaedics are very proud of the longstanding reputation of serving Milwaukee and Ozaukee Counties, and the surrounding areas, for over 50 years.